A FALSE CEILING ADDS A WHOLE NEW MEANING TO LOOK OF ANY ROOM.
A staple of modern interior decor as well as architecture, a false ceiling help to give uniformity, which otherwise plastering do not have effect. Generally, a surface constructed or hung below the main ceiling is referred to as artificial ceiling.
Essentially, a false ceiling is used as a design element, to accommodate lighting system and light effects such as bounce light, spotlight, floating light, hidden light, among others.
Materials used for false ceiling include stone, Plaster of Paris (POP), gypsum, wood, cloth, aluminium bars and strips, glass, among others. What’s more, you have a false ceiling made up using cloth, which are termed as fabric structure false ceiling. Today,photographs can also be printed on false ceiling.
- PLASTER OF PARIS
Plaster of Paris is commonly used for constructing false ceiling. POP hardens instantly when water is added to it. It is applied to fiberboard or a wood base, which is then suspended to form the false ceiling. POP surface can be painted, are easy to construct and maintain, and have a smooth and uniform finish.
- GYPSUM BOARD
Lightweight, flexible, fire and moisture resistant, gypsum is most commonly used for false ceiling. Gypsum board panels are tough and economical, and are fast replacing other ceiling materials such as POP. A gypsum panel could have tapered or square edges. Panels with tapered edge are used for ceiling since the gap between each edge can be filled, to give a smooth surface. Square-edges board can be used, where visibility of the joints is a requirement. As gypsum board is quite flexible, it allows for various shapes and design such as plain, curved, stepped, coffer-ed, pelmet, drop-design, etc. Gypsum board has high impact-resistant and is very strong. It is possible to suspend a load of up to 15 kg from the ceiling without any difficulty. Gypsum ceilings are non-resonant which makes then good soundproofing.
Plywood ceiling are widely used for their visual appeal. These ceilings are created with strips of ply glued or nailed together. The strips are held together and strengthened with ply supports at equal distances. Ply ceiling are generally used in place with cold climates. They can be given various finishes, or painted to get right look. Plywood ceilings are strong and look appealing. However, they are difficult to maintain.
All the above-mentioned materials though not waterproof, do not even dissolve in water. False ceiling helps in saving 10-12% of paint, which otherwise is wasted when used on a normal ceiling. The paint of false ceiling and of the walls, do not have affect the natural light in the house.The design plays an important role in determining the cost. One precaution that needs to be taken while opting for a false ceiling is-to discuss and lay the electric points when the work is in progress. If electric points are kept aside and are made after the construction of the false ceiling, it leads to patch work, which increase the expense and at the same time is also a very tedious job.
A wide range of design elements available today can make ceiling attractive giving a distinctive look to the entire room.
- Ceiling can be made interesting by adding touch of variety of elements
- Try to add some colors to the ceiling. While white is one of the popular color, one can even try using a shade of the wall color.
- Keep the ceiling color lighter than the walls and opt for high-gloss or semi-gloss paint. This can help to give reflective sheen to the ceiling and reflect light around the room.
- Use of softer shades like sky blue, sunset peach, or sunlight yellow,
- white can make the room look open and spacious.
- Darker floors, in combination with a light ceiling will also make ceiling appear higher.
- Installing a mirrors on the ceiling in small places can height and light to the small space. Mirrors can make even your ceiling look taller. Use a focal point and angle your mirrors towards it, which will give the illusion of depth.
- Vertical patterns in the form of wooden panels, wallpapers stripes or decorative paints in vertical styles can help lengthen the look of the wall.
- If you want to hide the flaws of your ceiling, try using panels or false beams. A stripes of wallpapers can be used to run across your ceiling or a wood moldings can be used.
- Adding an artwork to the ceiling can be interesting also, choose artwork which is vertical rather than horizontal ones.
- Arrange light sources evenly across the room. Use wall lighting instead of overhead lighting.